I saw this curtain at one of the thrift stores a few weeks ago and fell in love with it. I'm a sucker for anything with an elephant print. However, I thought it was a bit too much at €12 and let it slide. I kept thinking about it for the next week. When I went back, it was still there! Yay!
This picture is really just to show the elephant print and that yes, it was a curtain and not a tapestry. I mean, it's made out of the same type of cloth but the curtain was a bit longer.
So, I took the border on all three edges and cut that off, cut it up slightly, and sewed it into one long strip. It ended up being about 16.5" wide. The center part of the curtain, I cut into two ~24" rectangles, making sure to get the max amount of elephants, and put the rest of the fabric to the side. I ended up with two 36" by 24" wide rectangles. This was a bit too wide at the waist for me so I cut it down by making them into trapezoids instead. The top part of the trapezoid was 24" with the bottom staying 26".
I sewed the trapezoids together at the sides, gathered the long border print and sewed that to the bottom of the skirt, and I folded the top of the skirt over a piece of elastic. I sewed the elastic down to one of the seams but didn't sew it down to the fabric length ways. I wanted the fabric to move irregardless of where the elastic was.
The finished skirt! It will be perfect for summer. There is a ton of yardage in the border print and the fabric is a nice heavy cotton.