Thursday, April 10, 2014

Kidney Beans and Rice is totally medieval!

From the Neapolitian Recipe Collection:
Kidney Beans. Cook the kidney beans in pure water or in good broth; when they are cooked, get finely sliced onions and fry them in a pan with good oil and put these fried onions on top [of the beans] along with pepper, cinnamon and saffron; then let this sit a while on the hot coals; dish it up with good spices on top.
I served this on top of rice (rice, water, salt, and a pinch of saffron).


Recipe:

1 Can of Kidney Beans
1/2 sweet onion, diced
1/2 tablespoon of pepper
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 pinch of saffron
Olive Oil to fry the onion in

In one pot, cook the kidney beans in water. I drained the can, threw the beans in a pot, covered them with water, and let in boil for ten minutes. After that, I drained the water and put the beans in a bowl.

In a pan, I put just enough olive oil to fry up the onions. I only used half an onion, cut up. Once they started to brown, I added the pepper, cinnamon, and saffron. I then stirred it up, waited another minute and put these on top of the Kidney beans.

For dinner, I put the rice on a plate and then put the kidney beans & onions on top of that. Other than needing a little salt, it was really good!  I will definitely have this dish again. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment