Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Egg Allergies

My oldest nephew has become severely allergic to egg recently. He's six and his throat starts to swell up (though not completely closed) when he eats anything with egg in it. This includes one of his favorite foods - birthday cake!  Here is a list of all the ingredients that have egg hidden in them:

Contain Egg:

Albumin
Apovitellin
Cholesterol free egg substitute (e.g. Eggbeaters®)
Dried egg solids, dried egg
EggEgg, egg white, egg yolk
Egg wash
Eggnog
Fat substitutes
Globulin
Livetin
Lysozyme
Mayonnaise
Meringue, meringue powder
Ovalbumin
Ovoglobulin
Ovomucin
Ovomucoid
Ovotransferrin
Ovovitelia
Ovovitellin
Powdered eggs
Silici albuminate
Simplesse
Trailblazer
Vitellin
Whole egg

May Contain Egg:

Artificial flavoring
Lecithin
Natural flavoring
Nougat

- See more at: http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/resourcespre.php?id=36


Some are obvious like Mayonnaise, meringue, and anything with "egg" in the name.  Those that don't know Latin might not recognize all the "Ovo" ones - Latin for egg.  Still, there are a few I wouldn't suspect like Albumin -> Latin for white coloring.

Luckily, due to my own food allergies - particularly the dairy one- I did some research on vegan cooking.  For eggs, it's common to use bananas in sweet dishes - however they change the flavor profile greatly.  Nothing tastes like banana except...banana.   It's a hard flavor to hide.  Apples work really well and I've used those with great success.  I'm told there are some other more artificial egg substitutes but the more artificial in my family and the greater the chance someone is allergic to it.


So how do you use fruit rather than an egg?  It's really easy, honestly.  For each egg a recipe calls for, use one very mushed up, smashed up banana.  This really is yummy in a chocolate cake or a yellow cake with chocolate icing...if you like bananas.  :-)  You just peel the banana and mash it.  There really isn't any more to it than that.

For apples, it's a bit more time consuming - but apples won't change the flavor profile as much.  For each egg, you normally need two medium apples.  Peel and core them.  Boil the slices until they are soft - typically about 10 minutes.  Drain the slices and either put them in the blender or mash them by hand.  Use this as the egg substitute.   You can use apple sauce straight from the jar but there are a couple of problems with that - they tend to have other ingredients rather than just apples and it tends to add too much water to the recipe.  It will work if you lower your own liquid ingredients to accommodate the apple sauce but I like using apples I peeled and cored myself.  I know exactly what is in the apple sauce then.  (And, most of the time, I even know where the apples came from since I pick my own!)


Now to go cook up some yummy vegan yellow cake with dark chocolate fudge icing for myself and my oldest nephew!  :-)

2 comments:

  1. I have a vegan friend who uses chia as a substitute for egg in recipes with a lot of success

    .http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/egg-replacers/chia-seed-binder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I think apples and bananas are easier to find at the local grocery store (or at my local farm!) though.

      Delete