Monday, April 20, 2015

So that I can remember for next time

I've been playing with making up some new recipes for the Spring/Summer.   Tonight, I made this one up and it's delicious as well as pretty healthy.

Ingredients:

1 boneless skinless chicken breast with all the fatty stuff cut out
2 heritage carrots (regular carrots would work but I like the purple ones!)
2 stalks of celery
4 or 5 fresh chives
1/2 a lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon salt or to taste
1/2 tablespoon of lemon pepper seasoning

I cooked the chicken in the olive oil and fresh lemon juice from said lemon.   The chives were from my yard, the celery was left over from the potato salad I made over the weekend.  The carrots...I almost always have carrots in my fridge because they make a great snack food.   Really, this dish was about using what I had on hand.

I chopped up the carrots, chives, and celery.  Once the chicken was brown on one side, I coated the uncooked side with the lemon pepper, turned it, and added the veggies. I also added the salt at this point. Then, I just waited until it was all cooked.  I served this over a bed of rice.  I had cooked the rice the other day so I just heated it up in the microwave with a soaking wet paper towel over the rice so that it wouldn't dry out in said microwave.  

It's surprisingly good.  I wasn't sure how tasty it would be since I'm not normally a celery fan but this turned out really well.   It has a nice tang to it thanks to the chives and lemon but it's not overpoweringly sour.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment