Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Almond Milk and Rice

I made this rice dish a few days ago and realized I never posted the entire recipe!  I did mention it way back in 2012 - and I've made it every year during lent since then.

So, first, the various period recipes.  There are a lot:



Trust me, there are even more. They are all basically the same - rice, boiled in almond milk, with sugar. Sometimes you add more things, like cinnamon or raisins, sometimes you don't. For me, I add a lot of stuff because it's delicious.


Recipe:

1/2 cup Rice
2/3 cup Almond Milk
2 tablespoons sugar or to taste
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
2 carrots
a couple handfuls of raisins or as much as you like


Boiling the rice is pretty basic - I tend to boil it over a medium heat.  Just boil it in the almond milk - our rice is WAY fresher than what they got in the middle ages so that boil and reboil thing isn't necessary.   Add the sugar to the almond milk.   Add the chopped carrots about halfway through it being cooked.  I like using the heritage carrots (if you look at the photo, you'll see a white carrot!) but regular modern carrots are fine.  About a couple of minutes before it's done, add the spices and the raisins - you don't want the raisins to swell up too much.

I eat this a lot.  It's sweet (because of the sugar) but it's also pretty good for you.  It has raisins, carrots, and almonds.   I made this on Thursday and it's just as good as I remembered.  ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment