Friday, March 6, 2015

Friday's Dinner

Now that the kitchen is back in order (one of my brothers was kind enough to come over and help me move the fridge and stove back in place), I can cook again!  While on the mini break, I fasted most of the day and ate steamed shrimp with garlic ginger sauce on rice (Chinese food) at night.  Not exactly too terribly exotic, really.  In both Italy and England, there are mentions of shrimp (prawns), garlic, ginger, and rice during the 15th and 16th centuries. 

All I really wanted yesterday was hot chocolate and hummus.  So that's what I had.

Today, it was toast, olives, and olive oil with herbs to dip the toast in for lunch.  For dinner, I'm making Apple Pie but I crushed up the cinnamon sugar pita chips I had on hand for the upper crust (the original Italian recipe calls for cookies).  I'm also making some more apple flavored Sekajanbin but with a small difference - I used only the red apple flavored vinegar this time.  It's loosely based off of this 13th Century recipe for an apple syrup as well as the traditional sekajanbin recipe. 

EDIT:  Forgot to add the new crust recipe.

1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup of almond milk (probably could have used less)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

It's much better than the previous lenten recipe I've used.  It's much fluffier for lack of a better word.   It still needs *something* so I'll keep playing with it. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment