Monday, April 22, 2013

Various things

My starter for my bread died a horrible death earlier in the month. It was disgusting and horrible so I won't share the details. I have to make a new one but I'm going to try to use up all the fast acting yeast I have in the fridge first.

I won't be doing anything for the By the Sea Historical fortnightly. I had too many other things on my plate at the time. However, I should have something for the Flora and Fauna.

As many of you know, the lack of accuracy in movies bothers me greatly. Due to the not so gradual decline in education and the pursuit of education, most Americans take what they see as reality and are unable to distinguish between "Hollywood" and "Reality". I deal with it every single day at work. Almost everyday I heard something along the lines of "But in the movie, they said!" and I have to explain, over and over why that is wrong. And it's not just the historical movies. It's almost every single movie ever made.

For instance, one of the most troubling scenes in Mrs. Doubtfire to me is where Pierce Brosnan's character is seen chocking on a piece of shrimp. According to the movie, he is allergic to shrimp. Yet, somehow, Robin Williams' character simply goes over, does the Heimlich maneuver and everything is a-okay. Ummm. No.

What would have happened in real life is that Pierce Brosnan's character would have had to have been transported to the ER for anaphylactic shock and may have even died. At the least, a small pat on the back, so to speak, would not have instantly cured the situation. If anything, Robin Williams' character should have been charged with attempted murder!

There are a lot of reasons why I refuse to go to the movies anymore (sit in a chair that I have no idea when it was cleaned last, with a super sticky floor, surrounded by 100 strangers who have varying degrees of hygiene and etiquette, just to watch a movie that will be out on netflix in two months anyway? People pay $15 for this?) however, this is one of the reasons. Since the 1990's the movie industry has gotten far worse at even attempting any accuracy in filming. TV shows have long since become a laughing stock even when they are supposed to be serious (24 was hilarious!). Unfortunately for those of us that actually would like a story told that is, ya know, believable? There are very few options.

0 comments:

Post a Comment