Sunday, February 9, 2014

Historical Fortnightly Pink Progress

For the pink one, I decided to somewhat recreate this stunning 1790's dress in the print out above.  If you go to and type 1795 into the Cerca simple, you'll see it as one of the examples.   I don't like how the back waistline is - I prefer the waistline and the skirt to match up- but I love everything else about this dress.

For the fabric, I'm using a pink silk organza sari I have.   The sleeves will be out of some left over white silk taffeta I have from my 1860's ball gown.  I plan on adding silver sequins to the sleeves.   It won't be an exact match, but it should look pretty close to the original gown.

Now, the pattern. 

I already have a lot of Regency patterns.  So I took the same one I used for the 1820's dress and just redrew the lines.   I ended up not being too far off.

On the right, I've recut the pattern to better fit.  The left is still a little crazy but that doesn't matter.  This is just the mock up to make the pattern. 
The front.  I just pleated it to get a general idea.  It will be gathered in the finished dress. 
The sleeve!  This one was more complicated than the 1820's dress.   It's still using the more complex Rococo patterning.  This means I need to remember there is a left and a right.  Grr...

The back of the sleeve.  It will be lightly gathered at the top of the sleeve.   I used Janet Arnold again - the half dress sleeve pattern- to get an idea of what I needed.   I plotted out the major points; from armscye seam to armscye seam and then the length down to the elbow plus the from elbow seam to elbow seam.  You end up with a sideways "H" this way.  (I originally said an "I", which is true, but the font this blog uses doesn't show the crossbars as the top and bottom of the "I"). However, from that, I can redraw the curves shown in Janet Arnold around the sideways "H" to get a half way decent pattern. 

More tomorrow!


Post a Comment