Saturday, November 30, 2013

Yummies!

This Thanksgiving, we went over to my brother & sister in laws again.  The one problem I have with this is that it means, if I want to eat at Thanksgiving, I need to bring all my own food.  No one save Mom knows how to cook without tomatos or butter.  Given this, I tend to bring a lot of things that mean Thanksgiving to me.  Believe it or not, it's not the Turkey.  The smell of the sweet potato pudding below is exactly what I think of when I think Thanksgiving. Add in some apple pie and yummy bread and I'm good!

For the apple pie, I'm using the medieval recipe I've used before. However, this time, I'm staying a bit truer to the Italian recipe and using light brown sugar for the crust. Turns out, I needed more sugar in the crust.  However, the filling was perfect.

For sweet potato pudding, I modified this recipe so I could eat it.

Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs, separated, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup coconut spread
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • dash ground ginger
  • 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes

Original instructions:

In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Beat yolks in a separate bowl. In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar; add well-beaten egg yolks, milk, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and sweet potatoes. Fold in beaten egg whites. Turn mixture into a buttered 1 1/2-quart casserole. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Serve with cream or a caramel sauce. Serves 4.

My Instructions:

The eggs would not peak.  I added lemon juice to them and they got very fluffy but I think it was just too humid out to get the egg whites to peak.  I beat the yolks, coconut spread, and brown sugar together in a separate bowl.  It ended up looking something like a very creamy spicy mustard.  Once that was done, I added the boiled and somewhat mashed sweet potatoes as well as the spices and almond milk.  I tried to fold in the eggs but...nothing really wanted to work that way.  After I cooked the sweet potatoes, I mashed them up more (it's very hard to mash up potatoes when you don't have a masher or a blender.  I did this all with a fork) and put it in the fridge.

When it was time to eat the next day.  I put the sweet potatoes in the oven again for 5 minutes to heat them up and then put ricemallow cream on top.  Yummy!  My brother commented that mine had the best texture since we had three very different sweet potato offerings for Thanksgiving.  :-)



I also took over Medieval herb bread which was a huge hit and my normal sweet sourdough bread I make with my starter.   I actually had food this Thanksgiving!   And yes, my very sweet SIL cooked the Turkey with veggie oil rather than butter.   This meant I could eat that too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment