Monday, September 8, 2014

Beef Stoganoff (dairy free version)

I originally posted this - locked- on my other journal and didn't realize that until I went to search for it!

One of my favorite food before my food allergies got to the point of ridiculousness was beef stroganoff the way Mom made it. The problem was Mom used an instant onion soup (corn!) and sour cream (dairy!) so I haven't been able to eat it for a while. I finally gave up and decided there had to be a way to make it without dairy or corn in it. What I ended up with was actually pretty good - a bit sweet but that's because I screwed up with the sweet onions and accidentally adding vanilla almond milk. However, it still tasted fine. 

1lb of ground beef
1 can of beef stock
half a medium onion, cut up (or a half cup of dried onion minced)
1/2 cup of mushrooms, sliced
1 cup of noodles (I used lil shells but really, almost any kind will do)
1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup of flour (or more) to thicken the almond milk
1 teaspoon of rosemary
1 teaspoon of thyme
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper

Brown the beef. Add the onions and mushrooms to saute them as well. Add the beef stock once everything looks cooked. Add the noodles and make sure they are covered by the beef stock. Cover the frying pan and let it sit on medium heat for at least 20 minutes.

In another pot, a few minutes before the noodles are done, pour the almond milk and flour together. Stir it up and make sure it thickens. Add the spices as it begins to thicken over a low/medium heat. 

Take the cover off the frying pan and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.

Add the white sauce you made in the other pan to the beef and noodles in the frying pan. Mix it up well and cook it another five minutes. Serve. 


I've since made it several times unsweetened original almond milk and it's delicious. :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment