The Challenge: #21: Re-do – due Sat 15 November. Pick any previous challenge and re-do it (or do it for the first time). It could be one that you didn’t finish, one that you wish you’d had more time for, or any time for, or one where you loved the theme so much you want to do it again. So, I choose to do #11: The Politics of Fashion for this challenge. The gowns of the Regency era were designed to look nothing like the gowns associated with the French court and based off of the Greek statues as a way to embrace democracy. You can read a bit more here.
Fabric: Polished cotton
Pattern: My own!
Notions: 7 +yards of silver lace and 6+ yards of sari zardosi trim
How historically accurate is it? It's not too bad. It's machine sewn but silver lace and cotton are period.
Hours to complete: 9 or 10, I think
First worn: Today!
Total cost: I can't even remember how much I paid for the green cotton it's been so long. Maybe $5? The silver lace on the bodice was $1.50 a yard and the zardosi trim was maybe $10 for the whole thing.
So, the inspiration:
Met's collection. When I told Mom she needed a new Regency dress if she was going to come to the tea, she choose the above as an example of the dress she wanted. Okay.
I went through the stash pile and Mom liked the green polished cotton best of the fabrics I presented to her. She wanted silver trim - which luckily I had- and I started on a new pattern for her.
I tried to carefully mark up the bodice with multiple chalk lines to act as lace placement. The original gown actually has tucks with netting between the tucks. However, I have no idea how to do that without do that to the fabric first and then cutting out the bodice - which would waste fabric and take too long. So, I just applied lace to the front.
Mom ended up loving her dress so much she bought me a new hat! Yay! The back picture looks a little funny because I had her in 1790's stays and covered the straps with her 1820's petticoat straps. I need to make her new short stays.