Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Lenten Pancakes

To make lenten pancakes. Take fine flour which you shall beat up with yeast. Then make dough from it. Then, from the same dough, one shall take a small lump and make it square [and] very thin, in any case as thin as it is possible to make, until small holes appear. Then fry them well in rape oil. Some, who wish to, fry raisins therein and they stick them one here and there and also small pieces of apple.

Taken from Een notabel boecxken van cokeryen (Netherlands, ca. 1510


My redaction:
  • 1 1/2 cup of flour
  • 1 1/4 cup of almond milk
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 packet of yeast
  • 1/8 cup of sugar
So...it's bread.  Thin bread, but bread.   I added the salt and sugar because, otherwise, it would be tasteless bread (and it's how you make dough anyway...).  I used the almond milk for much the same reason although I'm sure water would work.

I fried it up in olive oil rather than canola oil (which is what it's calling for) because it's what I had on hand.  Because it's bread, it tastes great with honey.

EDIT:

I put the dough in a container and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Of course, due to the yeast, it rose. I made the pancakes again for dinner and really, wait for the dough to rise the next day. They are SO Much better. I'm thinking still a lot more sugar is needed in the pancake and I should have added the raisins to the dough but, over all, not bad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment