Monday, May 11, 2015

Butterick B5232 Jacket

http://butterick.mccall.com/b5232-products-7494.php?page_id=385
I was going through my patterns and came across this one that I bought a couple of years ago.  I was looking for a short summer jacket that I could wear to work.  Even though this is a "historical" pattern, view D is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

It's a bit big on the dress dummy but that's because I have it at "corseted" measurements and not actual right now.  It fits me perfectly.  Although this is meant to be a late 1890's/early 1900's pattern, the fit of the jacket is really 1930's/1940's in look.  It's really cute and I can't wait to wear it tomorrow.

Some notes on the pattern:  If you do view D like I did, the lower sleeve and the side back are very similar in shape.  Make sure you keep those separate so you don't end up sewing the sleeve where the side back should be like I did.  Luckily, I caught it and it was only on the peachy/coral cotton - not on the silk lining.   The shoulders on the pattern were pretty clearly designed for a linebacker - you'll have to cut the armscye along the top and back to get it to fit correctly.

I didn't bother to read the directions - the pattern is pretty straightforward.  There are darts in the front and I just bag lined the jacket.  

The coral/peachy fabric is a really neat looking cotton (it almost looks like linen) that I got at Wally World (Walmart) for $3 a yard.  The lining is leftover silk from a project last year.  I plan on wearing this with a black dress tomorrow for work.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment