Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Beef Pockets

This is something I came up with today while looking at what I had in the fridge. It is so terribly good! I have to write the recipe down so I'll remember.


Ingredients:

  • 2 pastry shells - I use the roll out kind you find near the eggs in the grocery store
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 lb of ground beef - I like the lean kind but any kind will do
  • 1/4 sweet onion
  • 3 potatoes
  • 4 carrots
  • 1 tablespoon rosemary
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • Olive oil to drizzle over the shells when you put them in the oven


I preheated the oven to 425f. I then rolled out the shells on the cookie tray so I could fill them easily. I probably should have greased the bottom of the cookie tray with some of the olive oil but I didn't.

I chopped up the carrots (peeled and chopped small), onion, and potatoes (just chopped, not peeled). I then added the two eggs, spices, and ground beef, mixing it all together the best I could in the bowl. It doesn't have to be perfect but it does need to be mixed.

I then took the filling, and put half inside each pastry shell, folding the pastry shells over. Again, doesn't have to be perfect. I drizzled olive oil on top and put these in the oven for 45 minutes.

This should be enough food for probably 6 people. Each pastry shell should feed three. I will be eating this for the rest of the week. It's really quite good and I think I might make it at Pennsic (with smaller portions!). It is a modern recipe - I made it up this evening- but nothing in it screams modern either. Well, maybe the ground beef but if you wanted to do this for a medieval type dinner, you could use small pieces of steak instead.

0 comments:

Post a Comment