Monday, April 4, 2016

Modern Easter Dress



I used Simplicity Pattern 1623, a pattern size 12 and it was way too big. I doubt the pattern size 10 would have been much of a better fit. The dress form is a "jeans" size 8 or my size right now. You can see it's just hanging off the dress form. I did wear it but I think I'm going to have to sell it. It would fit a person who is a "jeans" size 12 much better.

For those that are confused about "jeans" size versus pattern size - patterns still follow the old school system of sizing on their labels. A size 10, for example, should have a 32.5" bust and a 25" waist. In clothing sizes, a size 10 has 38" bust and a 30" waist. It's a huge difference in sizes. However, as many other seamstresses and sewers have discovered, what the pattern says about each size and what the size really is are two different things. According to the chart on the back of the pattern, I should cut out a size 14. However, I know from experience that you typically want to go down a size or two from what the pattern claims - which would mean a 12 or 10 for me.

The pattern is cute and it would look lovely if it fit right but, after wearing it on Easter, I just don't think it will work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment