First, I should explain. Pennsic, for those that don't know, is a medieval and renaissance festival in which 10,000+ people descend on this one, small, Pennsylvania town for two weeks out of the year. For those two weeks, Pennsic literally becomes it's own city - complete with a post office, restaurants, plenty of shopping, and a transportation system. It's my favorite event and there is something for everyone - all you need is garb.
Because I'm going to be taking up residence, again, at Pennsic, I need to have a place to sleep, cook, and bathe. The trailer works for sleeping and cooking. However, it doesn't have a shower area. So, I have to make a shower tent.
Normally, the group I camp with has all the necessary infrastructure to include a day shade, shower tent, and kitchen tent. This year, the baron and baroness of my household aren't coming. Also, the infrastructure is a bit old. So, new stuff!
To make a shower tent, I first had to figure out what style I wanted. For those on my LJ account, you know I was hemming and hawing at this for a couple of weeks. I couldn't decided whether to buy a shower tent or make a shower tent to start with. I found two that were under $60 but one wasn't period looking and the other, it turns out, has see-thru material based on the reviews. So making my own shower tent it is!
Now, which materials to use? For a while I liked the idea of using PVC pipes to make a nice frame and just cover it. The problem would be cutting said PVC pipes correctly and having the entire thing put together in a way that it stores easily and, preferably, flat.
I also saw the hula hoop shower tents which can be nice looking but didn't seem very sturdy to me. I needed something that could hold some weight for the solar shower bag but would also give me plenty of room to wash my hair. That's when I saw this:
So, to start, I measured along the seat edge of the papasan and found it was 144". That meant that the walls needed to be around 154" in order for the front to overlap. I also wanted to add in some extra for the seam allowance as I was hiding the raw edges of the material in the seams. I'd roll one edge, stitch it down and then roll it over again, but this time, encasing the other raw edge. It's sort of like a flat fled but I'm not sewing it down flat. I guess it's more like a french seam that way.
Anyway, the walls! There is a total of nine panels. Each panel was cut out at 20" across the top and 40" across the bottom except for the door flap which was half that.
The walls, lying flat, took up pretty much my entire front lawn. I used the selvage for the bottom hem so that I wouldn't have to hem the entire thing. I don't think I could take that.
tents in this plate from the mid 16th Century. Notice that the tent on the far right side has a curved top, like this will be and the tent on the far left has only the contrasting band.