Friday, March 7, 2014

Apple Muse!

I used the Gode Cookery site's research for Apple Muse but the measurements and directions are my own. I made it this morning for breakfast. Today is a fast day so I only had a small amount of this and probably won't eat again until an early supper - with the fish from last night and maybe some veggies. :-)

  • 1 bag of frozen apples (approx. 4 peeled, cored, and cut apples per a bag)
  • 1 cup Japanese style Bread Crumbs
  • 1/3 cup (ish) of honey
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • A pinch of saffron
  • Red food coloring because I can't find food grade sandlewood

I tried to boil the apples but my stove is ridiculous. I managed to get them to boil eventually despite my stoves attempts at not cooking anything. (Although my stove *should* have 9 different settings, it thinks it only has two on the main burner. One is "warm" the other is "OMG! HOT!". Where these settings are changes every single day. )

Once the apples were cooked (I just dumped the bag from the freezer into a pot of water), I drained them. Then, I mashed them - which took all of two seconds. They were really, really easy to mash into apple sauce. I added the red food dye at this point. I put in a LOT. I then added the bread crumbs. The reason I used the Japanese bread crumbs is that I could read the label and picture the raw ingredients in my head: Wheat, salt, yeast, and sugar. I know exactly what each of those ingredients are. The other "plain" bread crumbs had words that start with "mono". I don't want to eat things that start with "mono".

After the bread crumbs, I squirted in the honey - originally only two tablespoons. However, once all this was done cooking, I realized it was a bit blah and added more honey. That did the trick. I also added the salt and saffron to the mix while it was cooking. Then I added the almond milk, stirred it all up, and brought it up to a boil. It sort of looks like marinara sauce as it's cooking because of the red food dye. I let it cook for about 5 minutes and then served it.

I think I may have put a bit too much honey in when I put the extra bit in. Really, with some cinnamon, this would taste just like apple cinnamon cream of wheat. It's a great breakfast food.

0 comments:

Post a Comment