Thursday, August 15, 2013

New Velvet Fall Jacket


I saw these two blouses at the thrift store the other day.  They are both typical nylon velvet but look at the cut out velvet on the black one!


How could I resist that?   So I picked up figuring I could do *something* with it when I saw the purple velvet shirt in the same color as the highlights on the black velvet shirt.  Both were XL, making them great for remodeling and leaving me some room. 

Both shirts were $4.90.  (The thrift store doesn't bother with decimals or dollar signs.  I have no idea why.)  Before I even left the store, I knew what I wanted out of them - a new jacket!   Together, I thought, they'd make a great simple fall jacket.  So, the second I got home, I washed both shirts and got to work. 
The black velvet shirt ended up being the base.  I carefully took it apart so I could restructure it into a neat little jacket. 
Here are all the pieces after I cut up the purple shirt as well.   The top of the sleeves to the purple shirt ended up being the top of the sleeves for the jacket.  The bottom part is that lovely cut out velvet.  I added gores to the sides and faced the front of the jacket with purple as well.  And I added a hood. 
The finished cape/jacket!
The back of the jacket.
A picture of the sleeve and the side gore.

So, what do y'all think?  Like it?  Hate it?  Let me know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment